Monday, February 11, 2008

America's Next Top Model?

Many weeks ago I agreed to be a model in the Junior League Fashion Show during the Community Volunteer Fair at NorthPark Mall. I have to admit that at the time it seemed like no big deal, but the closer the day came the more nervous I got. And the news that the runway would actually go around a fountain (filled with water!) didn't make me any more confident that I wouldn't end up as fashion road kill.

Finally the day of my fitting arrived and after having all my clothing selections deemed "BORING" by the show coordinator, I walked back into the Dillards dressing room to the words of "I have the perfect dress for you!" And into my arms was flung the tiniest turquoise blue strappy dress. It was one of those dresses that folds up on itself and looks like nothing on the hanger. I was left standing there wondering how I would ever fit into this itsy bitsy dress. Amazingly (thank goodness) there was more to the dress than it first appeared and it did actually fit.

After trying on no less than twenty outfits, I finally passed inspection with the fashion coordinators and it was on to deciding accessories and shoes. The guy in charge of telling me what kind of shoes to wear was everything that you would imagine a man in charge of shoes being! But, I could handle my first shoe assignment. Brown strappy sandals - check. He was horrified however to learn that I don't own gold stiletto sandals. After much whispering and consulting with the other fashion coordinators, it was agreed that he would select a new pair of gold shoes for me to wear in the fashion show. However, on the day of the show he actually deemed the pair of shoes I had brought as a back up acceptable and I was able to avoid teetering down the runaway in gold heels. Score one for Ally!

I had a wonderful cheering section during the show - my dear hubby, my sister and B-I-L, and my oldest Abilene friends Tiffany and Jenny (well, not the oldest, maybe the better word is longest - we've been friends since I was two!). It was so fun to see them in the front row from the catwalk. Thanks for cheering me on!




1 comments:

Erin said...

You were great Al!!